Monday, October 30, 2006

Guatemala direct to Miami - a crazy contrast.

US security is as clearly implemented at ground level as it is explained by its Commander in chief.

As Nat and I approached our American Airlines specific gate a man behind the screen quickly put on rubber gloves (this worried me) and sure enough I was taken aside where my backpack was inspected and various items removed - deodorant, face cream, shaving cream and liquid clothes wash. I shrugged, the official shrugged, then in one foul swoop desposed of them in the garbage. Dangerous goods! Nat meanwhile was being worked over with a handheld metal detector. The shaving cream had distracted my guy so I never had the metal detector search. 1 point for Bush... he´s got my deodorant, but never found out if I was carrying a gun!

The next morning we quickly found the nearest diner where the menu was probably 5 times your local chinese restaurant. Upon finishing breakfast we were asked, by a man who probably couldn´t understand why not judging from his girth, if we would like dessert (at 11am).



Miami reminded us at times of Bondi... just a bit flashier. The Art Deco buildings are the highlight of South Beach and the fact that everyone speaks spanish. We were also having coffee one day when a guy rode by on his bicycle with a large iguana on his back.

We returned to the diner so that Nat could get her Jewish fix. This meant bagels with chopped liver and pickles. Eat your heart out Hanka!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home